Welcome to a new era of the NDK Art Gallery!
We have put a new twist on an old NDK favorite! The Art Gallery at Nan Desu Kan is first-come, first-serve. Participation in the Gallery is open to any member of the convention staff, volunteer, or convention attendee. Please read all requirements before submitting your application below.
Hours of Public Operation:
Friday : 3 pm-8 pm
Saturday : 10 am – 7 pm
Sunday : 10 am – 4 pm
Artist Check-In / Pick-Up:
Check in: Friday 12:00 pm – 2:30 pm
Check out: Sunday 4:00 pm
FEES AND PARTICIPATION
Spaces for Selling 2D Art:
– $25 for a half art flat
– $50 for a full art flat
Space for Selling 3D art:
– $25 for two shelves
– $50 for 4 shelves.
Space for Displaying Not-for-Sale Art -OR- For Artists under the age of 13:
– No Charge
ENTRIES AND AGENT INFORMATION
- Art may only be entered by the artist and OR an acting agent on behalf of the artist.
- Art submissions must have the piece attached to the application. These pieces will be reviewed to make sure all rules are being followed.
- There are two forms of submission.
- Paid: Paid for flats are for artists wishing to sell their pieces to the public. They will need to provide a digital copy of the piece being sold and a link to the art piece being sold for a qr code to be created. It is up to the artist on how they want to sell their pieces on their own sites. Space is limited in the Art Gallery.
- Free: Free flats are for artists that are not wanting to sell their pieces, but want to display their artwork. An image is required prior to the convention for approval. Artists will need to provide their signature name for their pieces. There will be no QR code linking to a website. Space is limited in the Art Gallery
- Applications will be reviewed and a lottery drawn if applicable. Notice will be sent in an email.
- An id must be presented when submitting art to the Art gallery staff. This must match the submitter and/or the agent on the application. An ID will be required upon pickup and will only be released to the submitting artist and/or the listed agent.
- Any art that is not picked up by either the artist or the agent by 6:00 PM on Sunday may be donated to our Charity Auction or discarded one week after the Convention.
TERMS FOR ENTRIES
Themes: Any art with themes in science fiction, horror, fantasy, and anime genres are welcome.
Accepted Mediums: Drawing and Sketches; Paintings; CGI or digital; hand-created items including Needle Point, Knitting, Sculpture, Paper Craft, Casting, etc. Photography may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Size and weight: Size limitations may apply. If being displayed on the art flats, size may not exceed 6ft in height, 2ft in width 15 lbs. If being displayed on shelves, pieces may not exceed 14 in h x 14.5 in w x 13 L and not exceeding 25 lbs.
Hardware: The Art Gallery provides basic hardware to display on metal grid surfaces. The artist will need to supply any hardware or special apparatus for work that requires special care or display. Spacing of the grid squares is 2inx2in.
- Flat or 2-D Entries must be mounted on firm backing, framed, matted, or made otherwise suitable for hanging. This must be included when submitting the application. If the entry is deemed to exceed size and weight limitations, the Art Gallery staff has the right to refuse a piece determined unsuitable or unstable for display. For safety reasons, we will not allow submissions that contain glass.
- 3D submissions cannot sit on the floor or lean unsupported against walls.
- Jewelry should be displayed on cloth or platforms that raise it from the table. You must supply your own display stands.
- The Art Gallery staff may grant exceptions for freestanding submissions. Please provide the picture in the submission.
- Prints & Reproductions: Prints and reproductions are accepted, however, only one copy of may be displayed for the duration of the Gallery .
Artists who have bought space in the Artists Alley may display or sell art in the Art Gallery (Artist must pay for a space if intending to sell art in the Art Gallery ) as long as it meets the above criteria. However, the art you display must be different from the pieces sold in the Artists Alley, either in media (such as showing an original versus a print), subject, or size. At least 50% of the art displayed in the Art Gallery must be for sale if you have space in the Artists Alley. For more information about reserving space in Artist Alley, see ndkdenver.org/activities/artists-alley for details.
Due to limited space, please respect the following requirements:
– Panels / 2-D : Each Panel is 2ft x 6ft panel on which to hang art, with a maximum of 20 pieces or 15lbs
– 3-D display : For 3-D art, each artist is allowed a maximum display space of 14 in h x 14.5 in w x 13 L and not exceeding 25 lbs area of a shelf.
All art pieces will need to go through an approval process for both 2-D and 3-D for both size, and weight. Artists that bring pieces in after submissions are closed, will be reviewed on site and if space is available, to be displayed not sold.
A swipe is a reproduction of a copyrighted work without permission of the artist and is a copyright infringement. This can include copying or tracing official art, fan art, or screen shots. Any piece that is determined to be a swipe or an infringement on copyright will be removed from display and returned to the artist. This policy is effective for both Senior and Junior Artists.
AWARDS AND PRIZES
Awards are given for the following Art Gallery categories: Best in Show, and Happun Award, 2nd Place, and 3rd Place. “Best In Show” is voted by the convention attendees. Prizes and awards are determined at the convention and may be subject to change from year to year.
Best in Show – $200.00
Happun Award – $50.00
2nd Place – Ribbon and a Certificate
3rd Place – Ribbon and a Certificate
RATED “T” for “TEEN”
The Art Gallery staff reserves the right to refuse any submissions depicting themes that exceed “TEEN” rating. The ESRB defines “TEEN” rating as “content that is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.”
- Artists can choose a whole art flat or a half art flat and share this with another artist.
- All sales are between the artist and the buyer. NDK will not collect money on the behalf of the artist, their agents, or buyers.
- All art must be submitted prior to the convention with a clear picture of the art piece, and a link or QR code that goes directly to the piece being sold on a website of the artists choosing. Example: if the artist wishes to auction the item off, they may choose Ebay, or other auction sites.
- A notebook will be with the Art Gallery staff table displaying the artists links/QR codes for direct purchases between the artist and the buyer.
- Art will be displayed throughout the weekend on the displayed flats and cannot be removed until the end of Art Gallery at 4:00 pm on Sunday.
- It is up to the artist to maintain all communication with potential buyers. The artist also reserves the right to choose who they want to sell their pieces to or if they decline all sales on any piece.
- Once the Art Gallery has closed the artist must come pick up their artwork no later than 4:00 pm
- It is the responsibility of the artist to get any sold pieces of artwork to the buyer after the convention.
Pricing on all artwork is at the discretion of the artist. It is up to the artist to price their artwork and display it properly on their website. If the artist wants to do their own bidding, it is up to the artist to maintain their bids.
NOT FOR SALE (“NFS”) ARTWORK
You are not required to sell your art for it to be allowed in the Art Gallery. Please use the “NFS” (Not For Sale) entry forms for your entries.
Damage & Theft: The Art Gallery staff will safeguard all entries to the best of their ability. NDK also has full security staffed throughout the Gallery to ensure the safety and protection of all convention participants. However, the Art Gallery staff, Nan Desu Kan, the hotel, and all organizational staff will not be held responsible for any damage or loss.
Storage: Room permitting, we will attempt to make room to store any containers or folios used to transport art, only. You must speak with a staff member to obtain permission before doing so. Due to liability, we will not store luggage, food, goods bought at the convention, or any other kind of personal items. Any items that have not been cleared by a staff member will either be discarded or brought to Lost & Found.
Handling & Displaying: Convention attendees are forbidden to touch, manipulate, or move any artwork without prior permission from the staff or the artist. The Art Gallery Staff may handle, move, or reposition art pieces during the Art Gallery to maximize space for all entries. Our staff are artists and art fans as well, and we take the greatest care to protect the art as much as possible.
IF YOU WITNESS ANY ABUSE OR VIOLATION OF THESE RULES, PLEASE REPORT THE INCIDENT TO THE ART GALLERY STAFF IMMEDIATELY.